The Must Have Tools for Every Kitchen
You want your kitchen to be a place where you enjoy preparing food, can be creative and experiment with new dishes using the right tools. We’ve all been there. You see this amazing recipe and you plan to make it for dinner tonight. Only to find out you do not have a grater in your kitchen drawer. You then try and convince yourself that you did buy a grater 5 years ago and someone must’ve taken it. To solve this mystery of the disappearing kitchen tools, start by doing a regular inventory to see what you have and what you need to buy.
Every kitchen should have at least two cutting boards. You use the one for raw meat or produce and the other one for cooked food. This way you will prevent cross contamination. There are a variety of materials used to produce cutting boards these days, but a good wooden or polyethylene plastic options are amongst the best.
How to clean of your cutting board
When purchasing a plastic cutting board, make sure it is dishwasher safe to save yourself some trouble. Many cooks do like the wooden cutting board though and one cannot place that in the dishwasher. Cutting boards always have some lingering bacteria on it and you have to make sure to disinfect after every use. A good tip to use is clean it with salt and lemon juice. Just sprinkle some coarse salt all over the board and squeeze about half of a lemon’s juice on it as well. Then you want to go in with a small scrubbing brush and work that into the board. This is a sure way to get rid of those nasty germs.
An Italian olive wood cutting board sells for about €36 – €140 depending on the size. There are many cheaper wood options available in-store for around €22.
Every kitchen needs a good set of knives. You will usually find those butcher blocks of knives in every kitchen, but how well do they really work? Your knives are your main tools when cooking and they also need to be your best. If you are just starting out you can invest in the following types of knives
- Serrated Knife
- 9 inch Chef’s Knife
- Paring Knife
A good set of knives will cost you anywhere between €250 – €380 online, but of course you can just walk into any kitchenware store and pick up a set for €50. It really depends on your budget and what you are looking for.
How to keep your knives sharp
- Clean your knives properly after every use. Try to wash your knives by hand and dry immediately.
- Use a quality cutting board. A wooden cutting board has been proven to help knives stay sharp versus a plastic cutting board.
- Store your knives separate. Throwing your knives in a drawer full of other utensils can cause your knives to bang against other silverware and go blunt with time.
- Use your knife only for food. For some reason, we use our knives as tools to fix things. Don’t use your knife as a screwdriver or a hammer.
A good set of pots and a non-stick pan are basics in any kitchen. Unless you are eating 100% raw food, you are going to need some pots and pans. If you are not sure which types of cookware to start with, here is a small list.
- Large non-stick skillet
- Small non-stick skillet
- Large stainless steel saucepan
- Small stainless steel saucepan
- Rice pot
How to take care of your cookware
- Clean your pots and pans before using. Usually, there is a wax coating on cookware that you have to remove before using.
- Your cookware will probably last longer if you hand wash it versus placing it in the dishwasher.
- After you’re done cooking, pour a little water in the pot or pan and boil out the water. This will result in less scrubbing later because the grease and grime would have lifted.
- Dry your cookware thoroughly after washing.
If you are looking for a quality set of pots, including a skillet, large saucepan and a rice pot, you might pay in the region of €82, but you can also pick up a cheaper set of cookware for under €50 instore.
These are the basic tool you need in your kitchen to start with, but there are obviously an entire lists of more tools you need. Here are some of those tools you need to buy as soon as you can.
- Locking tongs
- Vegetable peeler
- Can opener
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Slow cooker
- Pressure cooker
- Blender or handheld mixer
Having your tools ready to go is always necessary if you want to avoid frustration in the kitchen. Every kitchen needs the essentials to help you cook delicious meals and enjoy time in the kitchen.