Prep Time 30 minutes
Total Time 90 minutes
- 8 Medium Russet/Yukon Gold Potatoes
- ½ Stick Butter (Unsalted)
- 6 Cloves Garlic (Fine dice)
- 1 Small Onion (Fine dice)
- 2 c Chicken Stock (Low Sodium)
- 1/3 c Flour (AP)
- 1 ½ c Milk (or more as needed)
- 162 g Cheese Grated (For example: Sharp Cheddar, Fontina, Gruyer, Gouda)
- TT Salt & Pepper
- Slice the potatoes into thinly slices. Approximately 1/8 inches thick (.3175 cm). Place in to a bowl of ice/cold water to keep the potatoes from turning brown.
- Using 1 tbs of olive oil sauté onion and garlic. Until fragrant and translucent. There should be no color on the onions. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium heavy bottom pan melt butter over a low to medium heat. When the butter starts to bubble add the flour.
- Stir the butter/flour mixture till it turns to a blond color.
- Then add milk and stock. Whisk constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Once the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Slowly add cheese stirring constantly. Once all the cheese has been melted into the sauce remove from heat. Add garlic and onions as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 9 x 9 x 2 inch or 32 x 23 x 5 cm baking pan lined with aluminum foil pour a small amount of the cheese sauce on the bottom of the pan. Then start to layer the potatoes over sauce. Then cover the layer with a little more sauce. Continue until all the potatoes have been layered and covered with cheese sauce.
- Cover the pan with foil and place in preheated 400 Fahrenheit/200 Celsius oven for 30 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Bake potatoes until golden brown and the potatoes are tender.
Suggestion: Top with fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley, rosemary